From the early days of vacation rentals, families have found them to be a great alternative to hotels, and all the listing sites tout families as being a prime group to target.
So, why do so many owners fall short of expectations and fail to provide many of the essentials to modern day parents?
Probably because they haven’t been parents for a long time, and things have changed dramatically since the days they used to kick the kids out of the door at the start of the day and tell them not to be late for supper.
Parenting now involves a lot more and if owners are to meet the needs of families with all ages of children, they need to consider what is the new ‘normal’ and get equipped and prepared for them.
Nikki Woodson Blair is a mom to three kids and she has experienced many vacations where a little more attention to detail and an understanding of parental (and child) needs would have made a big difference.
In our conversation Nikki cites several reasons we should be targeting families
- those with babies and toddlers book in the low season when most owners are struggling to maintain occupancy; school seasons
- the school year is changing and there are many families with kids at year-round schools. The nature of traditional vacation times are changing.
- homeschoolers which are a tight but growing niche
She also shares what owners need to supply for different age groups from the sleeping and eating essentials for babies to safety requirements for the toddler and younger child stage, on to the little extras that make life fun for pre-schoolers.
In this episode Nikki explains:
- Why she saw the need for Clanventure and her goals for its growth
- Why property owners need to be specifically targeting families with young children
- The steps an owner needs to take to prepare their property for this niche group
- Ideas on making a home more attractive for families
- How owners can benefit from listing with her site
So, before you tick that box that says you are a ‘Family Friendly’ property, make sure you download Nikki’s list of must-haves and really own the designation. Your parent guests will love you for it!
Where you can find Nikki: