In this week’s episode I talk to author, multiple vacation home owner, and activist, Joel Rasmussen. Joel is President and Founder of the Austin Rental Alliance, one of the largest non-profit association of vacation rentals owners in the U.S. He’s also author of Vacation Rental Success – Volume 1 – From Start to Profit.
I first met Joel at the Home Away Summit in Phoenix in May last year; sat in on his presentation on regulations in the vacation rental industry and joined him on a panel during another session. His knowledge of the business and passion for hospitality is impressive and it was a pleasure to listen to what he had to say. The same can be said for this interview as Joel delivers some great insights into setting up an owners’ alliance, selecting a location for purchasing a property, and why its important to be a guest, as well as being an owner.
More specifically, in this interview you’ll learn:
- How twelve people nearly took away the rights of a million others
- Why creating an owner group can be a valuable force in challenging short-term rental restrictions
- Why the term ‘vacation rentals’ could be outdated in an urban setting
- How the art of being a host has grown Joel’s business
- The benefits of creating a philosophy of hospitality
- The value of being a ‘vicarious local’
- Why research is so important in a vacation property search
- Where you should look to find information on your competitors
……And a whole lot more
Sites mentioned in this episode: