I get questions every day from new owners (and sometimes not so new) about things they are doing. Should I do this, supply that, charge for a service or amenity etc. Forums and Facebook groups abound with similar questions, so I thought it would be useful to address some of the most common ones here.
There are no ‘right’ answers to most of the questions, and just like the recent episode on damage deposits, some of my suggestions might spark a lively debate which is great. I would love to hear what your take is on any (or all) of these questions.
In no particular order, I give my take on the following:
- What are the expectations of rental guests today?
- How many rolls of toilet paper do I leave?
- Should I greet guests personally and how much time should I spend telling them the rules of the house?
- Should I offer a refund if something breaks and I can’t replace it in time for guests to use?
- Should I use Corelle in the kitchen?
- What small appliances do guests want & how much should I spend?
- How do I get my guests to recycle
- What can I do to prevent my guests exceeding the Wifi limit?
- How many pillows should each bed have?
- Blankets and bedspreads, comforters or duvets?
- How do I get guests to read the House Book?
- What information should I leave my guests?
- Should I charge for pets?
- What do I do when a neighbor complains?
- What do I do when I think my guests have been smoking in the property?
- How do I stop people stealing the linens off my beds?
- What sort of guest gift should I leave?
- How do I stop guests arriving early?
- How can I encourage my guests to book again?
- How can I make the experience better for my guests?