Are You Giving Your Guests A Safe Night's Sleep?

No items found.

I read a post on the Traveling Mamas blog this morning that was a chilling reminder of how lack of attention to safety issues can have horrifying consequences.

A family of four from Denver on a vacation in an Aspen rented home, all died from carbon monoxide poisoning. They were found dead in their beds by friends who were joining them for a short break.  Although the authorities do not say if there was a CO2 monitor in the home, it is clear that

a “combination of errors” in the functioning of these systems caused lethal levels of carbon monoxide to form

A recent CTV report highlighted the issue after several incidents of carbon monoxide poisoning in Ontario. Last week, an OPP officer from Woodstock, Ont. lost her battle for survival following a gas leak that killed her husband, 14-year-old daughter and 12-year-old son.

Does your rental property burn coal, wood, charcoal, oil, kerosene, propane or natural gas?  If so, you should have a carbon monoxide detector. Many cottages have older heating systems that may contribute to dangerous and potentially lethal situations. Even if you have them checked regularly, you have no control over this ‘silent killer' unless you have installed a monitor.

There is a guide to CO2 detectors here and you can find them readily available in Lowes, Canadian Tire, and Home Depot. Get one NOW….not after Christmas or next year; if you have rental guests, you need this now!